Tuesday 31 July 2012

New Beginnings

I do suffer from times when I thought "What if I have a do-over". The most recent trigger for such thought is my failed-to-rise batch of scones. I changed the recipe by adding more wholemeal flour, over kneading and added too little baking powder despite a little voice in my head saying "Follow the recipe!". So, if I were to do that all over again, I would follow the recipe!

In just under two years, this exciting new plan for quake shaken and damaged Christchurch city is released. Very exciting indeed. It is a chance for the city to have a do-over. No excuses for "I wish there is more carparking here" or "Why didn't they put a park there" or "Let's go to Auckland or Wellington for the play or that ballet". They released this video yesterday evening to attract investors:




More detail can be found on this PDF from the Christchurch City Council

Life often throws us a curve ball. It can be a massive earthquake damaging a city, putting us in a position to rebuild from scratch. It can also be as simple as ruining a perfectly tested recipe by changing it! However, most of the time, the shades of it so gray with the journey so difficult that we often feel as if we are going nowhere.

If you're one to not believe in anything, then science tells us the universe is about 12 to 14 billion years old,  and humans have only been around for 200,000 years. Putting that into a 14 day perspective, humans have only been around for 17 seconds. That would mean you and I as individuals would have only been around for about 8.5 millisecond if we live to 100 years old. 

Relatively, we're like... nothing.

Don't lose heart.
Don't give up.
Don't fret.
Just live.
There is always a new beginning.
If there is none, just make one up.
Who would find out?

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. ... You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Jeremiah 29:11,13

On the flip side of the coin, is life too short to be following recipes? :D


1 comment:

  1. Is that "little voice in your head" code for "your husband"?

    ReplyDelete