Saturday 19 November 2011

The Hitchhiker

Image copied from Comedy Estonia

The marks of a good hitchhiker:

Super friendly 
Super chatty 
Super spontaneous 
Super trusting 
Super grateful

I decided to do the most random thing the other day. Maybe it's to check off something to do before hitting the big three-O. Maybe it's all the warm and fuzzy feeling from finishing my rural placement with a big appreciating send off. Maybe I get to go home!

Yes, I picked up a hitchhiker.

A 22 year old Austrian from small town Schwarzenberg, who is travelling before starting college to complete his training as an electrician. With other trades of a ski instructor and demi-pair! The usual dull drive back to Christchurch was adorned by conversations of travel, food, interesting people (hm...like the blog's theme!), religion and life's philosophy!

My husband was found to be chuckling at my action as this particular hitchhiker also scored a night's accommodation, hot shower, and a nice meal after returning from Arthur's Pass the day after he'd hitched a ride from me! PLUS, he gets a free ride to the airport the following day!

I would like to think this to be a kind deed to a fellow traveller from another, I trust he'd rested and recuperated well. Nevertheless, given his personality, he has done very well indeed!

Viel Erfolg, my friend!

2 comments: