Sunday 4 December 2011

The Mirrorman



I ventured to the newly reopened Cashel Street Mall recently for an independent post quake review. i.e. to have a nosy, and maybe to assist the local economy with some retail therapy :D 

The liveliest surprise was my encounter with a man covered in glass from head to toe for mirror effect  - The Mirror Man amusing the locals and visitors in a recovering quake damaged zone, commixed with Christmas festivity.

He must have spotted me, as he seem to pop up in my view everywhere I went! Alright, so what if I was stalking him first? It was another pure artistic opportunity with the camera!


Container shops and Cafes



Ongoing demolition and rebuilding in the inner city



Newly reopened Ballantynes


I learned later that this human mirror mosaic probably originated from an Austrian artist living in Los Angeles, Gustav Roger. His idea is a search to answer the questions "What is reality?", "What is appearance?", "Where does the truth begin and where does it end?". He himself does not have the answer but his suit reflects his audience. Who are they? What do they see? Why are they here? What is life? What is void? Does he reflect who they truly are?

 You know I'll change
If change is what you require
Your every wish
Your every dream, hope, desire
Here comes the mirror man
Says he's a people fan
Here comes the mirror man
~Philip Oakey

Profound. Nevertheless, how very true.




2 comments: